Backup Status Monitoring
February 27, 2007
Many of you have a DIFA
at your site, and I have formally handed over the duty of routine
monitoring of backups. To reduce your costs, I only maintain a very
infrequent schedule (typically quarterly) of backup status review as a
Here's a summary of the procedure and
- Launch the EMC/Insignia (formerly Dantz) Retrospect
- Click Activity Monitor button on toolbar to display
activity monitor pane.
- Click History tab within Activity Monitor pane.
- Review the backup jobs:
- Did all scheduled tasks take place as
- Any task showing a non-zero error count?
- Double-click on the error entries to see the log to
- Assess situation and notify me if necessary (err
on the safe side!)
- You may attempt to remedy these routine issues
- File(s) open and were skipped (make sure users
- Missing/bad disc (I/O error, replace disc and
- Destination inaccessible (station wasn't left on
at the time)
- A zero under performance column indicates no file copying
- It's a progressive/incremental backup, and no change
since last backup, or
- The task failed to run due to errors.
- You must verify that your remedies are completely successful.
Otherwise, call me.
NOTE: We can optionally setup Retrospect to automatically
email you after each backup, reporting success or failure. This is in
addition to (not a replacement of) the active monitoring, as they
complement each others.