Bravo/Mach 4 Network Advisory:
Client Options, Hosting Outage
Monday June 2, 2008 6:50am
EDT (GMT-4) Addendum below The latest assessment of the situation is that we could see FELI back
online as early as end-of-day today, and almost certainly by tomorrow.
Of course, it is still possible that unexpected obstacles might appear,
even though it is very unlikely.
Depending on how critical your web
site and email are to your operations, you might
- Proactive emergency re-routing to our redundant server
(works transparently, no announcement of change required)
- involves a delay, for work to be carried out,
and DNS settings to propagate.
- requires access to your domain registrar account
- all email programs need to be reprogrammed
- You can also opt for permanent hot/warm standby redundant
- This will render any single-point outage a non-event
- Keep in mind: doing so would increase complexity &
- Evaluate and implement work-around solutions
in the interim
(all of these options here require
announcement of changes to the world)
- web: Temporary sub-domains for your web sites. (e.g.:
- no propagation delay, available after we program DNS records
- require upload of your web content to newly created site
- can arrange to keep it indefinitely for future for
- email: Use externally hosted email (existing/newly created)
- Be advised: Regulatory compliance for your industry
will rule out use of free consumer-oriented services for
- Your personal email boxes with ISP at home are generally
compliant with regulatory requirements.
- Request temporary complimentary mailboxes under bravotech.us
- Passively wait for eventual recovery.
- Switch your hosting elsewhere permanently.
In all cases, the work involved is not covered by the hosting fee.
They are considered normal IT services and therefore billable at
Separately, per hosting terms, you're entitled to a pro-rata refund
of hosting fee when the 99.9% uptime guarantee is not met. For
simplicity sake, I'll credit the entire monthly fee (instead of
$0.17/day of down time, or $0.33/day with $10/month plan).
Tuesday June 3, 2008 11:05am
Current Bravo policy is to switch to alternate server wholesale,
affecting all sites, if one of the conditions below is met:
- consecutive 14 business hours (1.75 days) of outage
- outages w/ gaps less than 4 business hours count as
- cumulative 28 business hours of outage within previous 30
We have 2 options in making the switch:
- a different datacenter at The Planet, which maintains the
same admin control panel and other settings. We're at H1, there's
H2, also in Houston, plus 4 other
- a different provider all together:
- 1&1 USA where our redundant server is currently located,
which means we'll have to add yet another location for future
- another major provider
Until then, clients should evaluate their options as listed at the
top of this page.