Bravo/Mach 4 Network Advisory:
At 5:55pm EDT on Saturday May 31, 2008, our datacenter, The Planet,
located at Houston, Texas, USA had an explosion that destroyed three
walls and numerous network apparatus, and resulted in a fire.
The entire facility was evacuated. Thankfully, no one was injured and no
servers were harmed. Currently,
9000 servers are down due to power outage and network damage,
affecting over half a
million web sites worldwide.
At 11:46pm EDT, The Planet team was allowed into the facility to physically
inspect damage. Early indications are that the short was in a
high-volume wire conduit. However, they were not allowed to activate backup
generator plan, per fire department order.
The entire datacenter crisis team including management and all
suppliers are on-site and recovery plans are in motion there. We have activated
contingency plans on our end as well.
All our own Bravo critical sites
have been rerouted to our redundant server in Lenexa, KS.
Appropriate capacity has been reserved to provide similar services to
clients should they elect to implement it.
This is a developing
situation. I've been in close contact with the datacenter and will continue to monitor the situation closely, and act
accordingly as events unfold. Clients will be notified and options
presented on Monday.
This is a major (although not catastrophic) and extraordinary
incident. We apologize for any inconvenience it might have caused.
Further update will be posted on the Recovery
Status page. Don't forget to
refresh your browser to avoid stale pages. Sometimes
Ctrl-Refresh is required to force it,
depending on your settings.
|Highlights of the World-Class Hosting Capabilities at The
- Number 1 privately held dedicated server hosting
provider in the world
- with more than 500 employees (second only to
publicly held IBM)
- Fourth largest hosting provider of web sites
- hosting 3.1 million web sites total
- Serving more than 22,000 businesses worldwide
- 40 percent outside of North America
- Six wholly owned and managed state-of-the-art data
- 2 in Houston, 4 in Dallas
- containing more than 48,000 servers
- housed in 155,000 sq. ft. of raised floor space with
12,000 sq. ft. expansion capability
- Fully redundant Network Operations Center capabilities
from two cities, 24 x 7 x 365 monitoring
- One of the industry's fastest, most robust networks
- 100 gigabit/second multi-carrier backbone connection