First published: May 1, 2004
Last reviewed: December 20, 2010
Minor addendum: May 8, 2014 new related article
This clarifies some of the common confusion
over system purchases. It is a
subsidized operation as part of the perks for active clients in good
standings. Note: Since 1997, clients must meet
qualifications, in order to purchase systems from us.
|Background: Today, the cost of the
system hardware amounts to less than 10% of
the overall cost of IT operations. Over the lifetime of a system
(typically 3 to 6 years), the bulk of the expenses goes toward services,
consulting, planning, troubleshooting, repairs, upgrades, and consumable
Why should I
buy systems from you instead of
- Your IT department strategic planning for serviceability, not
- No game playing, bait-n-switch, up-selling tricks, or frivolous
- Proper configuration from start, less upfront setup costs
- Ease of maintenance, lower cost of ownership
- Intimate knowledge: BIOS versions/bugs, driver compatibility & other idiosyncrasy
- Consistent standards & stability: Retailers incessantly change
components to cut costs
- Selection process optimize for low cost of operations, not
advertised starting price.
- Avoid you having to be involved in the process when things go
- Configure per your business operational needs, not
to meet their sales quotas.
- Technical specific reasons:
- Standardized BIOS
- approved ICH versions
- Internal USB port header (for card reader, etc.)
- Optimal partitioning, per intended usage
- Reset button
- Current drivers, and dependable availability of them
- No pre-installed corruption, adverse interaction
among bundles (vendors eager to accept "placement fee" from software
- no ads
- no spyware (yes, legitimate vendors routinely pre-install spyware)
- general coordination with our IT strategies & processes
Why do you prefer
to provide the exact systems?
- Makes our tasks less risky, stressful & frustrating.
- Ensure subtle details of the specs will meet our IT
- Gives us control: Enforce standards and consistency for
strategic IT management.
- Leverage economy of scale on the time invested to learn about
- Minimizes need to communicate/coordinate with you.
- No finger pointing, no excuses.
What about peripherals, notebooks & PDAs?
For printers, monitors, and notebooks, etc.: we best stay in a purely consultative role and have you order those
exact items directly, based on part numbers we researched and provided.
If you prefer 1-stop logistics, we'll gladly
handle it on your behalf.
How do I qualify
to purchase systems from you?
Our system sales operations are subsidized and are strictly for the
benefits of our clients. You must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- You're an Active consulting clients in good standings, or
- New clients with clear intentions and commitment to obtain
on-going consulting services, with demonstrated abilities and past
- You're referred by an existing long-time client and they vouch
- Children of long-term clients, who demonstrated good personal
- You're a not-for-profit organization and we like you causes.
What are the options?
- Purchase the custom system built by us.
- Purchase a retail system and ship directly to us.
- Purchase a retail system and deliver to you.
- Bravo-assisted Direct Order
added May 8, 2014
For options 1 & 2: We perform
all configuration and software installation in-shop on low-priority
basis. You'll be billed
tasks performed, which are significantly lower than the actual
time-and-material rates. You may then pick it up for plug-n-play
install at your office, followed by
final customization remotely,
or we can deliver & install it at standard rates plus traveling
For option 3: We come on-site to
perform all configuration and software installation at
rates plus traveling fees. As with all on-site calls, you'll incur
costs for any unexpected delays, such as waiting for vendor tech
support to return calls, and all the normal delays (formatting,
copying, etc.) You'll also be paying for 2nd or 3rd attempts, including
additional trips, on
all procedures as required. You're generally shielded from those
expenses when performed in-shop, as we'd absorb them. See
Cost-Effectiveness memo for
Can you assist in the selection process?
Certainly. That's exactly what a consultant is for! If you purchase
the system from us, up to 50% of the
pre-sale consultation is
reimbursed. See Rates & Fees
schedule for terms and conditions. If you want to purchase
elsewhere, it's highly recommended that you retain us to select the
system. The typical $20 to $50 fee is well worth it. The significant
savings in avoiding wastes and future labor costs & frustrations more
than justify it.
How feasible is the self-install
We have perfected the remote branch office deployment scenario over the past
5 years, and have the entire process mastered down to the finest
details, and developed many specific strategies, procedures and
techniques. We have 100+ success cases from simple workstation
adding, to complex SBS domain conversion. Prerequisites:
- there is someone at your office with the rudimentary dexterity required to
physically hook up a system, using this checklist,
- the infrastructure (premises wiring, network apparatus, etc.) at your
site is ready.
Of course, periodic visits by technicians & engineers are still
required and available.
Are there any down sides to buying systems
- We do not accept credit cards. You must
prepay for the hardware and
software licenses by company check.
- Our lead time might be slightly longer. Generally
it's between 4 to 10 business days.